CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 18, 2011

Back to School

Jodi at Fun at First is having a back to school linky party.  Here are a few of my favorite back to school activities.

1)  Math- During the first couple of days I love to do a pattern activity with the kids.  For this activity I use adding machine tape and 2x2 squares of various colors of construction paper.  I randomly pair kids off and have them make a pattern on their strip.  I love this idea for many reasons- first it shows you real quick who works well with others and who may need some guidance working with others and of course it shows their skill of patterning.  Together with their partner they must come up with a pattern, choose the colors and glue the pieces down.  I love to walk around and observe the kids interacting with each other and working together to accomplish a task. 





2)  Another favorite activity is while we are learning each others names- after several activities with names I like to play what I call the Name Game.  Students again work with a partner for this activity.  Each player writes his name on the graph paper, writing one letter per box.  He places his marker on the star and rolls the die.  He moves that many spots and if the letter he lands on is in either his name or his partner name he colors the box.  If not, his turn is over.  Player 2 does the same and play continues until both names are colored.  I got this idea from a magazine but I have made my own board to go with it.  You can check this out at my teacher's notebook store HERE.




32 comments:

  1. Cute ideas! :)
    +Teaching Happily Ever After
    ~Creative Teaching with a Technology Twist~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both of these ideas! I would love to have a copy of the Name Game. My email is spung@sbcglobal.net Thanks! Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up! Love it.
    Jodi
    Fun-in-first.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by through the link party! Thanks for sharing your ideas!
    http://thebubblyblondeteacher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to have a copy of your Name Game! :o) Thanks for sharing!

    Cindy
    ccfirstteacher@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a first year, 1st grade teacher and I LOVE your ideas!! Will you please email a copy of the Name Game board to me?

    Thank you!!!

    pkteaches@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for these wonderful ideas! Will you please send me a copy of the Name Game? Thanks:)
    francesca10@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your great ideas!!! I, too, would LOVE a copy of your name game and will definitely be using it!!

    Janice

    jskimom1@shaw.ca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your name game sounds very cute. I'd love to have a copy, please.
    beleyne@gmail.com.
    Thank you!
    And I'm a new follower of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the name game idea! Could you please send a copy to me? Thanks!
    laurel.englum@gmail.com
    teachthemlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the game...can you send me a copy?
    jm4075@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your name game activity and would love it if you could send me a copy! Thanks so much!
    ellenbel5@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love this... :) GREAT IDEA

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your name game activity is really cute. Please send me a copy :)
    krutherford@usd211.org

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like your name game and would love a copy of it! Thanks
    hebalog@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Visited your blog through the Linky Party. Thanks for sharing the cute ideas! I'd love to have a copy of your name game. Thanks so much- and have a blessed day! KeithiLen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just found your blog! Such cute ideas. I would love a copy of the name game. Thanks for sharing.
    Stacey

    Stacey.hays@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a cute idea! I would love it if you could email me a copy. brownw@wy.k12.mi.us

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just found your blog! Very cute ideas!!!
    Christie :)
    First Grade Fever

    ReplyDelete
  20. i really like your name game! I would love to have a copy lgolkow@gmail.com. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the name game activity. Please share...
    hansval@sasktel.net

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just found your blog through the linky party, and am now a follower! Please e-mail me the Name Game at tfreund73@satx.rr.com

    Thanks!

    http://quenchyourfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like your name game...soo much that I'm now a follower ;) Can you email me a copy? mrsdeannedavis@hotmail.com


    http://firstgradeandfabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great ideas! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would love a copy! Thank you so much for sharing! kulajemde@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are great ideas!! I would love the name game....we start school on Monday and this would be perfect!! gtmitchell19@aol.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cute activity ~ I would love a copy. This is a perfect compliment to "Chrysantemum". A story we read during the first week of school. Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas! Thank you for sending a copy! email: pnewman51@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love love love to have a copy of the name game -- cstephens@burke.k12.nc.us

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great ideas, Jenny! Please send me a copy of your name game. Thanks for sharing. dkrzus@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I will keep the ball rolling! Love your name game and I would love,love,love a copy! I love partner games!! :) Thanks so much!

    dbowers85@gmail.com
    http://firstgradejabber.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I would love the name game as well
    wolfe_j@ohlsd.org

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really like this idea. Can you send me a copy of the name game. My email is madrais7@yahoo.com Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete